The Litter-Robot is an automated cat litter box that scoops up and removes solid waste. According to the Litter-Robot website, there are currently two distinct Litter-Robot models: the Litter-Robot 3 and the Litter-Robot 3 Connect.
The two Litter-Robot models have identical dimensions. They have a footprint of 24.25 × 27 inches (62 × 69 centimeters) while standing 29.5 inches (75 centimeters). Their oval entryways measure 10.25 × 15.25 inches (26 × 39 centimeters) at their widest points.
For the remainder of this article, I will discuss what the Litter-Robot is and why a cat owner would consider getting one.
What Is a Litter-Robot?
A Litter-Robot is a self-cleaning cat litter box developed by Whisker. It eliminates the need for cat owners to manually get on their knees to scoop and bag cat solid cat waste.
Litter-Robot 3 vs. Litter-Robot 3 Connect
Currently, there are two Litter-Robot models available: the Robot-Litter 3 and the Robot-Litter Connect.
Both models are identical in appearance and size. They both have a footprint of 24.25 × 27 inches (62 × 69 centimeters) while standing 29.5 inches (75 centimeters). Their oval entryways measure 10.25 × 15.25 inches (26 × 39 centimeters) at their widest points.
The only difference between the Litter-Robot 3 and the Litter-Robot 3 Connect is that the latter model has Wi-Fi and app support. Instead of relying on onboard notifications, you can receive push notifications on your smart gadget, informing you how often your cat uses the Litter-Robot 3 Connect, when the waste chamber is full, and when to add fresh litter to the self-cleaning robot.
In every other regard, the Litter-Robot 3 and the Litter-Robot 3 Connect are one and the same.
The Litter-Robot differentiates itself from the dozens of robot litter boxes by coming with high-tech features, such as:
- Drawer Indication: Alerts users when the Litter-Robot’s waste chamber needs to be emptied.
- Automated Night Light: Shines a bright light at nighttime to guide visually impaired cats during nighttime visits.
- Adjustable Cycle Timer: Users can automatically adjust how long the Litter-Robot will begin its spin cycle after a cat steps out of the Globe.
- Sleep Mode: Postpones the automatic spin cycle after each use in 8-hour increments
- Locked Controls: Users can lock the control panel to stop curious cats from tampering with the settings.
How the Litter-Robot Works
Below, I’ll give a quick description of how the Litter-Robot works.
- When your cat exits the Litter-Robot, it starts a countdown timer.
- When the countdown timer expires, the inner Globe component will begin to slowly spin, clumping and coating solid cat waste in the litter.
- Any unused litter will be sifted and stored in a clean litter chamber for future use.
- After the spinning process, all clumped cat waste will be deposited into a waste chamber fitted with activated carbon filters to absorb odors.
- The Globe component will return to its Home position, fully cleaned and ready for the next cycle.
- When the waste chamber is full, the pet owner will have to empty the chamber and refill the litter as needed.
Litter-Robot Weight Limit
According to Whisker, the Litter-Robot models do not have a maximum weight limit. They are designed for cats that can enter through the oval entryway, meaning that almost any kind of domesticated cat breed can fit inside the Litter-Robot.
If you have a Litter-Robot, you can look through the included paperwork to learn about proper placement. If you lost the paperwork, you can look at the Litter-Robot Quick Start Guide to learn the ins and outs of your robot.
Based on the digital manual, the ideal placement of your Litter-Robot should be:
- In the same spot as your old/current litter box.
- On a firm, level surface.
- Indoors and in a cool dry spot of your home.
- Nearby a power outlet without touching the wall.
- In front of a litter rug without a portion of the rug being underneath the device.
Why Would a Cat Owner Want a Litter-Robot?
There are several different cat litter box brands and models to choose from. However, many online experts will argue that the best-overall robot litter box is the Litter-Robot.
I’ll cover some of the major benefits of owning a Litter-Robot below:
- Offers a unique sifting process that provides a fresh pan of litter after each use
- Comes with an enclosed waste chamber lined with carbon filters to absorb foul odors
- Reduces cat litter usage by up to 50%
- Lets you monitor waste levels via push notifications (Litter-Robot 3 Connect only)
- Safe for cats of nearly any size
- One Litter-Robot is good for up to four cats
FAQs About the Litter-Robot
1. Do cats actually use the Litter-Robot?
It ultimately depends on conditioning, but it’s not much different from housebreaking a cat. As long as you condition your pet cat to use the Litter-Robot—or any robot litter box, for that matter—it should be comfortable enough to go to the bathroom inside of a Litter-Robot.
2. Do I need to get special litter for the Litter-Robot?
Absolutely not. According to Whiskers, the Litter-Robot requires no specialized accessories, bags, or cat litter to operate. You can use any brand of cat litter your cat prefers with the Litter-Robot without it causing any trouble.
3. How often do I have to clean the Litter-Robot?
Whiskers has a detailed guide on what you can do to maintain your Litter-Robot. When it comes to cleaning the Litter-Robot, you will have to:
- Remove all the litter from the Globe (press the Empty button).
- Clean the Globe with a towel and a cleaner of your choice.
- Wipe down and disinfect the Base.
The Litter-Robot is a one-of-a-kind robot litter box that handles much of the literally dirty work for you. The two Litter-Robot models available right now—the 3 and the 3 Connect—have bases that measure 24.25 × 27 inches (62 × 69 centimeters) while standing 29.5 inches (75 centimeters).
If you found this guide on the Litter-Robot helpful, make sure you share it with your cat-loving friends and family. If you have experience owning a Litter-Robot, please share your thoughts in the comments section down below.