Do you want your small business to stand out? If so, there are several advertising options you can rely on to get your name out there, including renting billboards. However, if you don’t have the means to rent a large billboard in the middle of the city, then you should consider using car magnets instead.
One common mistake that business owners make is not doing the research to find what car magnet size they need.
The standard car magnet size will typically measure 10 to 12 inches in width and 18 to 36 inches in length. However, there is no one-size-fits-all solution in terms of car magnets.
So, if you’d like to avoid the mistake of purchasing a car magnet that’s too large or too small for your car, you’ve come to the right place. The following sections of this guide will cover what you need to keep in mind when looking for the right-sized car magnet.
Are Car Magnets Useful?
Car magnets may not be as popular as they once were, but they’re a simplistic, affordable way to get your business’ name out there. You simply slap it onto the side panel or back of your car and take a cruise around town. Your ad can reach a great number of people whenever you pull out of your driveway.
Apart from visibility and reach, here are a few benefits that you should consider if you’re trying to advertise your business using car magnets.
- Cost-Effectiveness—car magnets are relatively cheap compared to advertising alternatives like billboards.
- Durability—car magnets can withstand the elements, making them the more optimal choice as opposed to stickers or even decals.
- Ease of Use—you won’t need the help of professional detailers to slap a car magnet on your car since it sticks into place with magnets.
The only question that you need to answer is, “What car magnet size should I get?” After all, there’s very little point in slapping a car magnet the size of a refrigerator magnet on your car since hardly anyone will see it. And that takes us to the crux of the matter.
Car Magnet Sizes
As I said earlier in this article, car magnets come in a variety of sizes. Most suppliers start with 10 × 18-inch car magnets, while others make them at 12 × 36 inches. What it boils down to is this: the size of a car magnet will depend on the maker.
That said, the following is a brief guide that will show you what some suppliers feel are the optimal car magnet dimensions for certain car types.
- Compact Cars—between 10 × 18 and 12 × 24 inches
- Full-Sized Sedans—between 10 × 20 and 12 × 24 inches
- Pickup Trucks and SUVs—between 18 × 18 and 18 × 48 inches
- Minivans—between 18 × 24 and 24 × 48 inches
Although the general sizing rules above may be helpful, the optimal car magnet size is as large as you can slap onto your car. So, while a 10 × 18-inch car magnet can be ideal for compact cars, making a larger one (12 × 24 inches or bigger) will be easier to see from a distance.
How to Use a Car Magnet
Using a car magnet is a straightforward process. A car magnet comes with a magnetized surface that adheres to metallic panels, so you won’t need to use adhesives of any sort.
However, there are a few key rules you should follow before sticking a car magnet on your car’s side panel, which are as follows:
- Clean the portion of the car where you will stick the car magnet (waxing optional).
- Let the newly cleaned portion of your car dry completely.
- Wipe the magnetized surface of the car magnet with water and a mild detergent.
- Lie the magnet until it sits completely flush with your car’s side or back panel. Any air bubbles may cause the magnet to shift in position over time and eventually fall off.
- Give the magnet a little jiggle to ensure that it stays in place. If the magnet moves, gently peel it off and wash the area again before trying again.
Ideally, the car magnet will stick to the rear of your car. That they, it will not face as much wind resistance when you cruise down highways, and it gives motorists behind you a good look at your business’ name and contact information.
Please note that car magnets can only stick to steel or iron surfaces. If your car has plastic, aluminum, or wood-grain panels, the car magnet will not stick. In that case, it would probably be better to get sticker or decal advertisements for your car instead.
Car Magnet Shapes
When you reach out to a car magnet maker, you will be required to hand over all the details you wish to have made into a car magnet. And even though the standard shape for car magnets is a rectangle, you can request the maker design it in any shape you wish.
Some people opt for rectangular car magnets with rounded corners. The rounded corners will allegedly resist the wind while you drive, preventing the wind from blowing the magnet clean off your car.
You can also ask for a fully circular car magnet, which has similar wind-resisting properties as rectangular car magnets with rounded corners. If attached correctly, circular car magnets can even withstand high winds from passing vehicles.
Some makers can even make car magnets in abstract shapes—i.e., the shape of your logo or an image that best symbolizes what your business is about.
You will have to pay close attention to the dimensions to ensure that the abstract shape of the magnet properly sticks onto the side or rear of your car. A higher number of corners can also mean poor resistance to wind, but it may stick out and catch the eye of passersby more easily than the other shapes.