Are you looking for a t-shirt that anyone can look good in? If so, then you need to search for unisex t-shirts. Unisex, or dual-gendered, t-shirts are shirts that are designed to fit anyone, regardless of where they belong in the gender spectrum.
In this guide, I’ll explain the measurements of unisex t-shirts and how they differ from men’s and women’s t-shirts, and I’ll also include a conversion chart to help you shop for unisex tees from around the world.
Unisex T-Shirt Size Chart
Below, you’ll find a chart that describes the measurements of unisex t-shirts based on size.
|XXS||31 to 34 in.||25 to 27 in.||33 to 35 in.||24 to 25.5 in.|
|XS||34 to 36 in.||27 to 29 in.||35 to 37 in.||25 to 26.5 in.|
|S||36 to 38 in.||29 to 31 in.||37 to 39 in.||26.5 to 27.5 in.|
|M||38 to 40 in.||31 to 33 in.||39 to 41 in.||27.5 to 28.5 in.|
|L||40 to 42 in.||33 to 36 in.||41 to 44 in.||28.5 to 29.5 in.|
|XL||42 to 45 in.||36 to 40 in.||44 to 48 in.||29.5 to 30.5 in.|
|XXL||45 to 48 in.||40 to 44 in.||48 to 52 in.||30.5 to 31.5 in.|
How to Measure Yourself for Unisex T-Shirts
If you’re one of the 2.08 billion people who shop online, then you probably know how troublesome it can be to find a perfect-fitting t-shirt. This is because clothes manufacturers don’t have to follow a universal sizing chart. Their small, medium, and large tees are subjective to what they think small, medium, and large sizes should be.
So, in order to ensure the perfect fit, you need to record the precise measurements of your chest, waist, and hips. There are 2 ways to do this—use an old t-shirt as a measurement template or measure your body.
- Get an old t-shirt that fits you.
- Lie the shirt down on a flat surface.
- To get the chest measurement, measure the length between the armpits.
- To get the hip measurement, measure the circumference of the bottom hem.
- To get the waist measurement, measure the circumference of the shirt roughly 2 to 3 inches above the bottom hem.
- To get the length measurement, measure the shirt from the tip of the collar straight down to the bottom hem.
Some shirt manufacturers may ask for the circumference and the length of the sleeve. To get these figures, measure the distance between the armpit and the shoulder. Next, measure the distance between the shoulder and the tip of the sleeve.
- Stand as straight as possible and get another person to help you record your measurements.
- To get the chest measurement, measure the distance between your armpits and add ¾ to 1 inch to the figure.
- To get the waist measurement, measure the circumference of your belly at its widest point and add ¾ to 1 inch to the figure.
- To get the hip measurement, measure the circumference of your hip where you want the bottom of the shirt to end and add ¾ to 1 inch to the figure.
- To get the length measurement, measure the distance between the base of the back of the neck to where you want the bottom of the shirt to end. Add 2 inches if you feel that your belly protrudes forward.
Again, measure the sleeve circumference and length if the manufacturer asks for those measurements.
Unisex vs. Women and Men’s T-Shirts
Now, you’re probably wondering what makes unisex t-shirts different from women and men’s t-shirts.
There are 3 ways unisex t-shirts differ from women’s t-shirts. The first is in regards to the waist and hip measurements. Unisex t-shirts often have a flatter look compared to women’s tees, so there’s excess fabric when women wear them.
Another huge difference is the available neck styles. Women’s tees usually have V or deep-V necks, whereas unisex t-shirts have rounded or square necks.
The final difference is in terms of the sleeves. Women’s t-shirts usually have shorter sleeves to reveal more upper-arm skin. Unisex t-shirts have longer, wider sleeves.
As you can see from the description above, unisex t-shirts share more similarities with men’s t-shirts. This is because they are both usually one and the same. As such, you can most likely find unisex t-shirts in men’s sizes and vice versa.
Unisex T-Shirt Gender Conversion Chart
In general, unisex or men’s t-shirts are 1 size larger than their women’s counterparts. So, in order to find a t-shirt that conforms to a woman’s letter size, you would have to shop 1 size smaller.
The following chart will show you what unisex/men’s t-shirt sizes are fit for women.
Unisex T-Shirt Country Conversion Chart
Now, let’s take a look at how unisex t-shirts are sized in different markets.
|S||36 to 38||36 to 38||36 to 38||46 to 48||1||90 to 90|
|M||38 to 40||38 to 40||38 to 40||48 to 50||2||95 to 100|
|L||40 to 42||40 to 42||40 to 42||50 to 52||3||100 to 105|
|XL||42 to 44||42 to 44||42 to 44||52 to 54||4||105 to 110|
|XXL||45 to 46||44 to 46||44 to 46||54 to 56||5||110 to 115|
|XXXL||46 to 48||46 to 48||46 to 48||56 to 58||6||115 to 120|
Are All Brands Use the Same Size Standards?
Alas, no. Not every brand follows the same size standard because there is no universal sizing method for any article of clothing. As such, a t-shirt from brand A might be 1 or 2 sizes larger than those from brand B.
You don’t even have to look across country borders to find differences in sizing methods. Even brands from the same country may have different methods for assigning letter sizes to t-shirts. So, the safest way to shop online is to find a manufacturer that can custom-tailor t-shirts to your exact measurements. Refer to the section on how to measure yourself for unisex t-shirts to figure out how to do this.