Are you ready for the ultimate gaming experience? Look no further than the PlayStation 5, with its lightning-fast loading speeds and stunning graphics. And if you can’t enjoy it because of real-world responsibilities, at least your children can, assuming you can actually get your hands on one! If you manage to do that, you’ll need to know how large the box is to wrap it up in time for Christmas!
The size of the PlayStation 5’s retail box is about 18.5 inches wide, 17 inches tall, and 7 inches deep. If you wish to ship your PS5 across the country, you should put it in a box measuring at least 20 × 20 × 10 inches.
In this guide, I’ll provide an overview of the PS5, the size of its retail box, and what things you should consider if you want to ship it to a faraway land.
A Brief Look at the PS5
The PlayStation 5 (PS5) is the latest home video game console developed and produced by Sony Interactive Entertainment. It was released on November 12, 2020, in North America and on November 19, 2020, in Europe. It is the successor to the PlayStation 4 and is part of the PlayStation family of consoles. The PS5 has received mostly positive reviews for its improved hardware and features, but it has also faced criticism for its high price and limited availability.
There were several factors that contributed to the shortage of PS5 consoles when it was first released. One reason was the high demand for the console. The PS5 was highly anticipated with pre-orders selling out quickly, leading to long waiting lists and high demand at launch.
Another reason was the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the production and supply chain of the PS5. The pandemic disrupted the manufacturing and distribution of the console, leading to delays and shortages.
In just 5 months since its launch, over 7.8 million units of the PS5 have been sold worldwide, making it one of the best-selling home game consoles of all time.
PS5 Box Size
If you somehow managed to get your hands on a PS5 in spite of the worldwide shortage, you’re going to need enough wrapping paper to keep it a secret until Christmas morning. To know this, you should get a feel for the size of the PS5 box.
The retail box, or the box in which the PS5 comes in when you swiped it off the shelves, measures around 18.5 inches wide, 17 inches tall, and 7 inches deep, giving it a total surface area of 1,126 square inches or just under 8 square feet.
Just in case you want to throw a couple of physical copies of games in the wrapping paper, each game case or box measures about 6.8 × 5.4 × 0.6 inches.
How to Ship a PS5
Now, what if you picked up a PS5 for a family member who lives halfway across the world? The good news is that you can use the original retail box since it already comes with all the protection it needs. However, just in case you don’t trust UPS to take care of the console during transport, it would probably be a good idea to place the PS5 box inside a bigger box.
To ship your PS5 to a faraway land, you should place the PS5 in its original box inside a cardboard moving box measuring at least 20 × 20 × 10 inches. This will provide roughly 1.5 × 1.3 × 3 inches of empty space that you can fill with extra padding.
After you get the cardboard box, make sure you have plenty of bubble wrap or packing paper to fill the voids. Also, you’ll need a roll of packing tape to seal the box.
Here’s how you prepare a PS5 for shipping:
- Line the bottom of the moving box with bubble wrap or packing paper.
- Place the PS5 box in the center of the box, leaving empty space on all sides.
- Fill the empty space above, below, and to the side of the PS5 box with more bubble wrap or packing paper.
- Add more bubble wrap or packing paper on top of the PS5 box until it nearly reaches the top of the moving box.
- Shut the moving box by folding over the flaps.
- Use the packing tape to seal the flaps. It might be a good idea to seal the entire moving box in packing tape to prevent it from opening.
With the PS5 package fully prepared, it’s not time to think about your shipping options.
- Use a courier service: When sending your PS5, you can use any of the major courier services like FedEx, UPS, or DHL. Same-day delivery and next-day delivery are just a couple of the shipping options offered by these businesses.
- Use the postal service: The postal service is another viable option for transporting your PS5, alongside courier services. Priority Mail, Priority Mail Express, and Parcel Select are just a few of the shipping options provided by the United States Postal Service (USPS).
- Use a moving company: If you have a lot of stuff to move, including your PS5, you can hire a moving company. A wide variety of movers provide not only packing and transport but also storage facilities. Just note that this is usually not the most cost-efficient shipping method unless you want to move an entire cargo van full of things.
What to Consider When Shipping a PS5
Other than preparing the box in which you want to ship the PS5, you should also pay attention to the following things:
- Labeling: Make sure the package’s shipping address and your own return address are legible. This will ensure the PS5 is returned to you if there are any problems with the delivery.
- Insurance: If there’s any chance that your PS5 will get damaged while being shipped, you might want to consider getting shipping insurance. This can help alleviate worries and cover costs in the event of an accident.
- Tracking: Select a shipping option that provides tracking so you can keep tabs on your package and know exactly when it has been delivered.
Leave a Reply