High-quality handbags are a hallmark of the Chanel brand, a high-end fashion house. Totes, shoulder bags, backpacks, and handbags are just some of the options available from this retailer, all of which come in a wide variety of sizes and materials. You can get just about anything at Chanel; the only question is whether or not it comes in the size you need.
The 2 most popular Chanel bag types are the Chanel 2.55 and the Chanel Classic. 2.55 bags range from 8 × 5.75 × 3 to 12.25 × 8 × 4 inches, whereas Classic bags measure between 6.6 × 5.3 × 3.1 inches to 12.9 × 9 × 3.9 inches.
In this guide, we’re going to talk about the various bag styles sporting the Chanel logo, what sizes they come in, and how to authenticate a Chanel bag.
Common Chanel Bags
Chanel’s success since its inception in 1910 mirrors the rise of women’s emancipation and cultural recognition around the world. Chanel is not only a fashion house but also a potent symbol, and its bags are always appreciated additions to any outfit.
From the official website, you’ll find a wide range of bag categories. Here’s a brief description of what they are:
- Flap Bags— You can identify a flap bag by the material panel that folds over the top of the bag and fastens with a clasp or other closure. They are available in a wide variety of shapes, hues, and patterns and have a long history of serving as a fashion staple.
- Hobo bags— A Chanel hobo bag has the signature slouchy, crescent shape and long, single strap. Anyone in the market for a roomy, fashionable tote for everyday use will find this one to be a top pick.
- Shopping bags— The Chanel shopping bag is a type of handbag distinguished by its large exterior dimensions and roomy interior, making it an excellent choice for transporting numerous items. For everyday use or for carrying items while shopping, they are a fashionable and functional option.
- Maxi Bags— Maxi bags are intermediate in size, falling between shopping totes and larger tote styles like flap and hobo. They are frequently purchased by women who want a fashionable handbag for everyday use or for carrying numerous items.
- Messenger Bags— A Chanel messenger bag is a rectangular handbag with an adjustable shoulder strap. It is intended that the strap be slung over one shoulder or across the chest to carry one of these bags.
- Vanity cases— Chanel’s vanity case is a specific kind of handbag used for carrying cosmetics and other adornment items. You’ll find vanity cases with extra features like mirrors and dividers to help you better organize and quickly access your cosmetics and other personal effects.
- Evening bags— Chanel’s take on the evening bag is a sophisticated clutch perfect for cocktail parties or other upscale evening events. Handbags of this size can be held in one hand or slung under the arm. Beading, sequins, and other embellishments are commonplace on evening handbags to add a touch of glitz to formal wear.
Chanel Bag Size
Not only are there numerous bag types from Chanel, but the company also makes various sizes for several bag categories. The most popular bags from Chanel are Chanel 2.55 and Chanel Classic (flap bags).
Coco Chanel introduced her now-iconic Chanel 2.55 handbag in February 1955. The release date and calendar month inspired the bag’s moniker. Unlike the conventionally structured handbags of the time, the 2.55 was created with functionality in mind.
For decades now, the 2.55 has been a go-to for stylish women everywhere. While minor tweaks and improvements have been made over the years, the 2.55’s overall shape and basic features are still present.
|Mini||8 × 5.75 × 3||20 × 14.5 × 7.5|
|Small||9.5 × 6.25 × 2.75||24 × 16 × 7|
|Medium||11 × 7.75 × 2.75||28 × 19.5 × 7|
|Large||12.25 × 8 × 4||31 × 20 × 10|
Karl Lagerfeld revamped the 2.55 in the 1980s, keeping the classic shape while updating it with the ostentatious style of the time. The most noticeable change is the widespread use of locks bearing the now-iconic CC logo.
|Mini square||6.6 × 5.3 × 3.1||17 × 13.5 × 8|
|Mini rectangle||7.8 × 4.7 × 2.3||20 × 12 × 6|
|Small||9 × 5.7 × 2.3||23 × 14.5 × 6|
|Medium||9.9 × 6 × 2.5||25.5 × 15.5 × 6.5|
|Jumbo||11.7 × 7.6 × 3.9||30 × 19.5 × 10|
|Maxi||12.9 × 9 × 3.9||33 × 23 × 10|
How to Authenticate a Chanel Bag
The high demand for the brand’s luxurious, high-quality handbags and the substantial price premium these bags command have led to an increase in the production of counterfeit Chanel bags. The bottom line is that you should always have a Chanel bag authenticated before buying it from a non-authorized seller.
To ensure that a Chanel bag is genuine and of high quality, it must first be authenticated. Here’s how to verify the genuineness of your Chanel handbag:
1. Check serial numbers or date codes
To authenticate a Chanel bag using this method, you can compare the serial number or date code on the bag’s hologram sticker with the information provided by Chanel or with an online checker. Chanel bags from 2021 and later use NFC chips in place of hologram stickers.
2. Assess stitch quality and count
A genuine Chanel bag will have uniform, straight stitches that are closely spaced and free of loose threads. You can also check that the bag is made to Chanel’s standards by counting the stitches (there should be at least 10 per inch).
3. Check the hardware
The high quality of the chain’s construction ensures that it will feel heavy when held. The lock plate on today’s bags only accommodates screws with a flathead or a special star-shaped head.
4. Examine the overlapping CC logo
Check the right and left sides to make sure the upper C overlaps the lower C. Next, make sure the CC lock is in the exact center of the leather flap both vertically and horizontally; if it isn’t, it’s probably a fake.
5. Take the bag to an authorized Chanel retailer
You can also take it to a Chanel boutique or a designer-bag expert to have them verify its authenticity. You may have to pay to get it authenticated, but it’s worth the cost if your bag is potentially is valued in the thousands.